Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Let the Junk Bring You Closer to God

The dominant characteristic of an authentic spiritual life is the gratitude that flows from trust—not only for all the gifts that I receive from God, but gratitude for all the suffering. Because in that purifying experience, suffering has often been the shortest path to intimacy with God.- Brennan Manning

I think this is so true, and that is one reason for the Bible verse in Romans that says we rejoice in suffering. Suffering makes us stronger, wiser, and closer to God. There is a song by Kathleen Carnali called Dangerous Prayer and she asks God to "rain on my parade, strip me down again, so I'm desperate for you Jesus, whatever it takes bring me to my end, so I'm desperate for you, amen." I love that song. And I know this is true in my own life. I went through a lot of junk that made me decide to leave public school and go to Campion Academy, and by the time I graduated high school, I was a completely different person. Not a perfect person, but a Christian, and someone who loves God so much. I will constantly be changing, trying, growing, becoming closer to God. Through good things but also through sufferings. I just think its good for us to remember that "all things work together for the good of those who love God" (Romans 8:28). So when you are going through junk, cling to God and his promises.

1 comment: