Thursday, January 14, 2010

Measurements, measurements.






the pictures above have been added after posting the following blog (me, dirt cake, two dads enjoying dirt cake):

Hahahahaha.

I am choosing to laugh.

So it started with me wanting to make dirt cake, which is, by the way, so delicious.

And so that was my plan.

The ingredients are:

cream cheese, butter, milk, powdered sugar, choc. pudding mix, oreos, and cool whip -- I know right, super healthy.

I am making it in England, for an English kids program.

So that means I must convert the recipe from American measurements to British ones. Now, I graduated high school and I didn't do too bad, and I went to college, and I got a 3.5 gpa while I was there. I am not stupid, entirely. So I google cups to grams ( which is what they use here )and I do all the math for all the ingredients and convert it all into grams. Then, I multiply it by 15, because I am making this for a lot of people.

I am now ready to shop. Lorna, who is helping me, picks me up. I have an inkling that England may not have cool whip, but we try costco since it is an American store, no, no cool whip, but I KNOW they will have Oreo's. The recipe calls for 1 pkg of Oreos. Too bad in England, where people are skinnier, 1 pkg only has 6 biscuits. So back to the math. I decide 4, 6 biscuit, packs will count as one American package. Sorted.

We now go to the next store to buy everything else. I tell Lorna that I need 15 sticks of butter. Lorna has a strange look on her face, "sticks?!", she asks, looking confused. I remember, England doesn't have "sticks" of butter, well they do, but they do not call them sticks. Back to the math, ounce, cups, grams, and STICKS! ugh. But, sorted it.

I then tell Lorna I need 6,875 grams of milk. "Grams?!", Lorna asks, looking confused. "Milk is liquid, it does not come in grams", she states, in a very obvious tone. Awesome. I forgot that liquids and solids are measured differently. Like what was I thinking about, dang you google for not making it more clear!!

Eventually, after studying my nalgene (1 litre), I guess, and buy 2 and 1/2 litres of milk. Ugh, litres?!

Next step, chocolate pudding, I ask Lorna, "do you have chocolate pudding?", "well of course we do, we have all kinds of pudding". After she states this, I remember, in England, the word pudding is a synonym for dessert. Actual pudding, does not exist. BUT they do have chocolate custard, well they might have it, she has never seen it, but, I pray, and we find it. But how much to buy? Ugh, guessing again.

Cool whip? Yeah no Cool whip, nothing like it, not at all. So home-made whipped cream it is. But how much whipped cream can you get out of 500 ml of cream? What is ml anyway, silly England, I like ounces.

So I am off to try to make dirt cake, with pretty much none of the ingredients it calls for. But I rest assured that God will do the cooking. I will update you all later.

Peace!
P.s. Everyone loved the dirt cake and it turned out great, a major success, praise the Lord!









PS Here are pictures

1 comment:

  1. Too bad all kids can't have this task before them when they are trying to learn different units of measurement! You're way ahead of a lot of adults. So proud of you that you could get it all together and that everyone enjoyed it! We all need a little unhealthy chocolate now and then! Love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete